Equal Justice Initiative is a non-profit committed to challenging racial injustice, ending mass incarceration, and protecting the human rights of the most vulnerable people in society.
During Pride Month we celebrate the anniversary of the Stonewall Riots.
Please remember that the activism of a black butch lesbian (Stormé DeLarverie) and a black trans woman (Marsha P Johnson) sparked the uprising that ignited an LGBTQIA+ movement.
As we find ways to celebrate Pride Month globally, please commit to actions that will create a better, more just world for everyone. Here are just a few actions you can take:
– Learn more about and talk out the conscious and unconscious bias you have. I have a growing reading list and am happy to share.
– Listen without ego and defensiveness to people of color.
– Support black businesses.
– Don’t buy from companies that use prison labor.
– Don’t be silent about that racist joke.
– Buy books, choose TV shows and movies, and opt for toys for your kids, nieces, nephews, etc that show people from different races, and that feature POC as protagonists and heroes.
Decolonize your bookshelf.
– Find out how slavery, the Civil War, and the Jim Crow era are being taught in your local school.
– Write to your local government and police chief to advocate for mandatory police body cams and evidence-based police de-escalation trainings.
– When you see posts about people encountering racism, call the business or institution involved to tell them how upset you are.
– Call or write to your local government to support criminal justice reform including reducing mandatory minimum sentences, reducing sentences for non-violent drug crimes, passing alternatives to incarceration, etc.
This is by no means and exhaustive list and I can share lots of books and resources, just slide into my DMs.